Translate

Wednesday 28 October 2015

Halloween

 

 

scared stiff

Meaning:  very frightened (so scared that a person can’t move)
Example:  When I saw the giant spider in my shower this morning, I was scared stiff.

death trap

Meaning:  a building or other structure that is dangerous
Example:  That old roller coaster is a death trap. It will collapse one day if they don’t fix it.

come back to haunt someone

Meaning:  to make a mistake that will affect a person later on
Example:  I skipped school a month ago, and now it’s come back to haunt me because my parents somehow found out.

make one’s blood boil

Meaning:  to cause a person to be very angry
Example:  When my boss ignores me during a meeting, it really makes my blood boil.

skeleton(s) in one’s closet / skeleton(s) in the cupboard

Meaning:  an embarrassing secret (or secrets)
Example:  If you decide to become a politician, be aware that reporters will look for skeletons in your closet.

witching hour

Meaning:  midnight
Example:  Last Halloween, we stayed up till the witching hour listening to Michael Jackson’s “Thriller.”

ghost town

Meaning:  an area that’s empty and devoid of life or activity
Example:  My hometown becomes a ghost town after 9:00 pm every night. There’s nothing to do!

blind as a bat

Meaning:  not able to see well
Example:  My grandmother really shouldn’t be driving anymore. She’s as blind as a bat these days.

night owl

 

Meaning:  a person who loves staying up late
Example:  My brother is an early bird who likes to study in the morning, but I’m a night owl so I always study at night.

the cat’s out of the bag / let the cat out of the bag

Meaning:  revealing a surprise that was supposed to stay hidden
Example:  We weren’t going to tell anyone we were expecting a baby for three months, but my mom posted it on Facebook, so the cat’s out of the bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment